Good news! Last week, the general assembly at the GfÖ 2016 officially recognized us as a new IK (i.e. initiative group). We will be able to request the formation of a “full” special interest group of the GfÖ at next year’s annual meeting, which will done jointly with the BES and NECOV in Ghent, Belgium.
During the well-attended first IK meeting, we talked about what to do next. First of all, infrastructure-wise, we will for now organize via
- This blog
- Our twitter channel @AKCompEcol
- An email list that we are setting up as I write.
What we talked about most is what activities we could do / organize. The final decision was to have our first IK meeting in Spring 2017, with
- Introductory (very short) talks of all participants to get to know each other and to get an overview of topics and methodologies.
- Plenty of time for discussions (either on a general topic aimed at finding possibilities for synergies between statistics, modeling and theory, or in breakout groups to be declared beforehand). We will send around a questionnaire to collect further ideas before the meeting (e.g. for discussion groups and / or general organization).
- 2-3 days at a place that is centrally located in Germany (there were suggestions for Frankfurt or Göttingen, each with volunteers for the organization).
We had many other good suggestions from the group that we have noted, particularly regarding connections to other groups (e.g., YoMos, AK Macroecology, AK Plant Population Ecology), activities at the upcoming joint GfÖ/BES (a session, potentially joint with the BES SIG Quantitative Ecology), and other meeting forms. We are going to follow up on those and will report back once we have concrete results.